General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U526
Posted by: jcrt ()
Date: May 06, 2020 09:18AM

This U-boat was lost to a British air laid mine off Lorient on 14.04.1943, but unlike all other U-boats lost to air laid mines, she is just recorded as lost to an air laid mine, not named generally like all the others. I noted she was lost not too far from U171 which was lost the year before [09.10.1942]to a mine in a field given the name 'Artichokes'.
Painstaking researching RAF squadron's deployed for mine laying without luck until being sent the relevant part form a copy from 'The Source Book of the R.A.F. by Ken Delve, depicting 'Codes for Minelaying Areas (1940-45). The list of names given to what in the RAF was known as 'Gardening' and thus many areas mined were given vegetable names. As they were sowing minefields in enemy-held waters, each area to be mined being designated its own coded name and the entrance and exit off Lorient was given the name Artichokes which, as mentioned U171 is listed as being lost in previously. Therefore I submit therefore U526 should be so listed as being lost in the Artichokes field. John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U526 jcrt 05/06/2020 09:18AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.