General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Photos needed
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: July 18, 2020 09:53PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info.

Johannes Graf von Ballestrem came aboard U-126 as a Leutnant zur See d. R. but was promoted to Oberleutnant zur See before the next patrol & I wasn't sure if the d. R. still applied now that he was on active duty. After his promotion, Bauer didn't reference his as d. R. anymore. I really have no idea how the Kriegsmarine dealt with reserve officers though.

Bacher wasn't listed as d. R. so perhaps he did come over from the merchant marine.

Schlumberger was listed as an Obermaschinist for 2 war patrols on U-126 then as an Oberleutnant (Ing) on U-534 later in the war. If that were the case he wouldn't have a real crew designation & I don't know if they assigned those that got promoted into the officer ranks a retroactive crew designation. I just assumed he had been promoted into the officer ranks but perhaps there were two men with the same name. I got the U-534 connection from [historisches-marinearchiv.de]

Regards,

Ken Dunn

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Photos needed Ken Dunn 07/18/2020 05:54PM
Re: Photos needed Michael Lowrey 07/18/2020 07:12PM
Re: Photos needed Ken Dunn 07/18/2020 09:53PM
Re: Photos needed Michael Lowrey 07/18/2020 11:04PM
Re: Photos needed Ken Dunn 07/19/2020 02:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.