General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U31 looking for info on crew list of captured personnel
Posted by: Cazash ()
Date: August 25, 2020 04:22PM

Thanks John

I'll give them a try - from your experience, would captured german personnel as a rule give away their insignia, badges, hat ribbon and the like on being captured.

I have a bit of a mystery.

My Great Uncle served on HMS Antelope, was on board when U31 was captured, and was given by a german - photo, hat badge, submariner badge, what look like petty officer metal lapel badges as well as his binoculars. There are initials scratched into the back of the submariner badge, but they appear to relate to a crew member that was killed when U31 sank first time around - I know U31 was reclaimed and recommissioned and then lost in Nov 1940.

Its a real mystery, as the photo is of a very young guy, whereas the records show that the only W SCH would appear to be Wilheim Schnittger who was killed in March 1940.

Would it be common/possible for the german captured in NOv 1940 to have handed over someone else's badges etc.

Apparently from family stories retold, our uncle struck up a 'friendship' with the german during their return from this incident.

Any ideas, comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Caz

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U31 looking for info on crew list of captured personnel Cazash 08/23/2020 05:09PM
Re: U31 looking for info on crew list of captured personnel jcrt 08/25/2020 07:23AM
Re: U31 looking for info on crew list of captured personnel Cazash 08/25/2020 04:22PM
Re: U31 looking for info on crew list of captured personnel jcrt 08/25/2020 05:24PM
Re: U31 looking for info on crew list of captured personnel Cazash 08/25/2020 05:31PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.