General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: August 28, 2021 09:31PM

Hi Paul,

I examined his death certificate before I made my post.

The heading says:

Line 1: Place of Death: “en route to Mass. Gen’l Hosp.”

The Medical Certificate of Death section clearly says:

Line 19: Cause and Manner: “Incised wound right wrist”

Line 20: “Suicidal”
Manner of Injury: “Found bleeding while a prisoner or at Charles St Jail May 19/45”
Was there an autopsy?: “Yes”

Note that while I assume Jack Henry Alberti had him beaten (not just slapped) or did it himself (though he & the Marine guard both denied it – he admitted to having the Marine guard slap him once & the Marine guard testified he gave him two smart slaps -- one with the palm, the other with the back of his hand) if any injuries from a beating caused his death it would have showed up in his autopsy and certainly wouldn’t have been labeled as a suicide.

Mr. Seitz (one of the U-873 crew. See: [uboatarchive.net] - U-873 surrendered to U.S. forces on May 11, 1945) observed Kapitänleutnant Steinhoff returning to his cell after his questioning by Mr. Alberti. He reports his face was swollen and bleeding, indicating his treatment was more brutal than described in the report by the Naval Inspector General. He also didn’t mention his wrist being cut (and that is consistent with him doing it himself in his cell after the interrogation) or his being badly beaten. Mr. Seitz reports he personally was well treated in captivity.

Apparently, Steinhoff’s treatment during his two- and one-half-hour interrogation caused him to commit suicide by cutting his wrist in his cell & he bled out on the way to a hospital. At least that is what the evidence seems to say. However, there could have been other reasons for him to commit suicide.

This is all consistent with the following:

[uboatarchive.net] - Report from the Chief, Provost Marshal Branch to the Provost Marshal General: Transfer of German Navy Prisoners of War, U-873.

Basically, as a researcher I have to give weight to official documents and a death certificate is a pretty official document especially since an autopsy was performed.

That said, if you have found evidence to the contrary, I would love to see it. I have emailed you my contact information.

I have not investigated this incident further though and there may well be evidence that I haven’t come across yet. I do have an open mind on this matter & am looking forward to what you have come up with.

Regards,

Ken Dunn

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Kristoff 08/03/2021 02:04PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 08/03/2021 02:58PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Kristoff 08/03/2021 03:58PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 08/03/2021 04:55PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Mark McShane 08/13/2021 08:39AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Cape Crusader 08/18/2021 10:09AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 08/19/2021 05:19PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Paul Lawton 08/25/2021 12:48AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 08/25/2021 10:28AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Paul Lawton 08/25/2021 10:42AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 08/27/2021 03:18PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Paul Lawton 08/28/2021 03:46AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption t-geronimo 08/28/2021 10:19AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 08/28/2021 09:31PM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Paul Lawton 08/29/2021 01:08AM
Re: On board cigarette and alcohol consumption Ken Dunn 09/18/2021 05:03PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.