General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
AO-31 Chenango U-boat sighting January 28, 1942
Date: July 11, 2022 07:46PM

Before she was CVE-28 Chenango, AO-31 Chenango reported seeing a U-boat "awash" at 30-59 N 81-04 W shortly after midnight on January 28th, 1942. This appears to be off the border between the US States of Georgia and Florida:

[goo.gl]

The only mention I can find of "Chenango" is an older (1918) merchant vessel so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. I am familiar with US Navy War Diaries and deck logs and am wondering if there is something similar for the U-boats that might aid in identifying this submarine if possible or if there is knowledge about which boats were likely to be in the area at the time.

Chenango reported changing course to bring her stern 5" gun to bear but the U-boat submerged before she was in position. Of course, no action between the two happened but it seems unique enough to be interesting and worth seeing if we can determine the identity so it can be added to Chenango's page on this site:

[uboat.net]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
AO-31 Chenango U-boat sighting January 28, 1942 ResearcherAtLarge 07/11/2022 07:46PM
Re: AO-31 Chenango U-boat sighting January 28, 1942 ARANTALES 07/13/2022 11:20AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.