General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
I mean, when the CR ordered half speed astern, what happened in the engine room?
Posted by: Onkel ()
Date: July 31, 2022 06:54PM

Hello,

we are the developers of the U-boat game Wolfpack. We toured your sub in 2016. We have some questions we hope you can help us with so we can be as authentic as possible.

How did the U-995 and Type VII boat go backwards? I mean, when the CR ordered half speed astern, what happened in the engine room?

Did WWII German U-boats (Type VII) have a reverse gear they could switch to when running their diesels? Like a car, they could "shift to reverse" to go astern?

Or did they disengage the diesels and use the electric motors for reverse?

Our research has found sources that say the diesels are "reversible", that means they rotate the crankshaft in either direction? They actually run in the reverse motion?

We also found some mention of changing camshafts to run the diesel in reverse... was this a simple switch to move the valvetrain from one cam to another, or did this require some disassembly of the valvetrain to use a different cam?

When the control room signaled All Stop, did the engine room disengage the diesels from the prop shaft using the clutch, and let the diesels idle? Or did they shut down the diesels?

Many thanks for your help, it is really appreciated,

Neal Stevens
SUBSIM

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
I mean, when the CR ordered half speed astern, what happened in the engine room? Onkel 07/31/2022 06:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.