Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
The World at War: Wolf Pack [ep.10]
Posted by: TrenchKnife ()
Date: January 23, 2011 06:52PM

Ive just started playing SilentHunter 5 and to get in the spirit I broke out my The World at War collection and watched the episode "Wolf Pack: U-Boats in the Atlantic 1939-1944." Still a classic and still probably the most gripping documentary on the Battle of the Atlantic.

Anyway, starting in minute 9:09 and ending in 9:51 there is an excellent montage of footage of "the happy time." It seems to be cobbled together newsreel footage of returning U-Boats, sinkings, and awards being handed out. I have three questions about this footage that I hope one of the U-Boat experts here at U-Boat.net can answer.

1. From minute 9:18~9:28 we see a returning U-Boat. On the conning tower there are the numerals "105.812" - is this U-105? If so what does the "812" designate. Can someone I.D. this U-Boat?

2.From minute 9:47~9:50 we see a capt. who has received the Knights Cross (with Oak Leaves and Swords as well I think). He has what in America we might call an Amish beard. Can someone I.D. this captain?

3. Can anyone point me to an online source of stock German footage of U-Boats/U-Boat crews?

Cheers,
Trench

PS - this is a fantastic site. Im recommending all my PC gaming buddies to come over here to do some reading before playing SilentHunter 5.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The World at War: Wolf Pack [ep.10] TrenchKnife 01/23/2011 06:52PM
Re: The World at War: Wolf Pack [ep.10] TrenchKnife 01/23/2011 07:00PM
Re: The World at War: Wolf Pack [ep.10] jamsac 02/08/2011 09:29PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.