Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
The Cruel Sea
Posted by: schalke ()
Date: October 05, 2007 05:40PM

Although i appreciate that this 1960's film (an all time great in my opinion)is a work of fiction, it does however seem to have a firm basis in fact. Towards the end of the film the Castle class frigate Saltash Castle F362 forces a U-Boat the the surface by depth charge and dispatches it by gunfire. The U-boat portrayed is U-153. Now i know in wartime no numbers were painted on the tower so does anyone know why this number was chosen. Also on the tower it displayed an upside down horseshoe, was this U-153's individual symbol, a flotilla one or artistic interpretation ? .The "real" U-153, commanded by Wilfried Reichmann, was depth charged to destruction with the loss of all hands on 13.07.42 by the USN destroyer Lansdowne in the Caribbean. Any answers would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Cruel Sea schalke 10/05/2007 05:40PM
Re: The Cruel Sea paul tjader 10/28/2007 02:54PM
Re: The Cruel Sea paul tjader 01/11/2008 07:53PM
Re: The Cruel Sea MPC 02/06/2008 09:12PM
Re: The Cruel Sea BAZZA 02/16/2013 03:39PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.