Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
RE: A rant about Das Boot...
Posted by: Ian Stapley ()
Date: April 21, 2001 10:09AM

<HTML>Herzliche Grussen aus unseren Pairs! (with apologies for the terrible grammar!)
I may have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum so sorry if I\'m repeating myself.

Having watched the film again the other weekend and cross referencing to the series \"U Boat\", the point to remember re the torpedoing and the reaction of the lords in the bows is this. The torpedomen seldom, if ever got to see the results of their work and so their reaction was that of satisfaction in a job well done. After which, when everyone in the boat can hear the noises of a ship breaking up on the way to the bottom, the mood can be seen to change.

The book goes into more detail, the captain having served on schooners in his youth finds it distasteful to send fine ships to the bottom, and the reaction of those on the bridge watching the sailors die in the tanker fire is worthy of note. Suddenly it is brought home to them that it is people, just like them, dying.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I would compare das Boot to Remarque\'s All Quiet on the western Front; if, after viewing it you wish for the events depicted to never happen for real again, then the film will have served its purpose.

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
A rant about Das Boot... Daryl Carpenter 04/10/2001 05:54PM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... lars 04/12/2001 06:31AM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... Saskia 04/13/2001 09:18PM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... Jeff Josefsberg 04/16/2001 07:56PM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... Ian Stapley 04/21/2001 10:09AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.