Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT?
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: January 20, 2004 09:33PM

<HTML>Hi Stefan,

My objection to the way those officers were depicted still stands as it has nothing to do with weather or not it ever really happened. There were hundreds of U-boat officers that served during the war and even if a few did do things like that (and shooting a gun in a crowded public place while in uniform is quite different from the examples you cited) it doesn’t excuse the way those scenes were shown. Had they been about specific real people and had they been true & accurate it might be different. We have to accept the way things really were warts and all. In this case however it gives the appearance that this was not unusual behavior for U-boat officers and it definitely was unusual for U-boat officers and I think that’s why it is offensive for the men that served in the U-bootwaffe.

I assume the attempt was just to show these men as human beings under great stress acting like human beings but it failed in my opinion. It wasn’t necessary to the plot either and it offended the very group of men it was meant to show support for.

Certainly these men had to let off steam however the officers typically did it in private, not in public. The German navy was a very formal service. Additionally, getting caught doing something like that in public could have substantial consequences for a U-boat officer. Any officer senior to the officers depicted that stood by and did nothing while it happened could have been in big trouble too. Even the actions of enlisted men in the U-bootwaffe could be punished quite severely if they were caught.

I think those scenes were in bad taste and should have been omitted. In the Eck case men in the water were machine-gunned but that isn’t a valid reason for the U-571 movie to include a scene like that either. It would be quite valid in a movie about the Eck case though. I find the way these officers were depicted in Das Boot to be the same kind mistake and I think many of the U-boat vets think so too. If it had been about specific real people and they had done what was depicted then I wouldn’t have any objection to those scenes and I don’t think many others would either. Like I said we have to accept whatever really happened warts and all.

I think it was Werner Henke who punched out an SS man but it certainly wouldn’t be accurate to have shown U-boat officers doing that in Das Boot (although I suspect the vets would have loved it). Just because something happens doesn’t make it right to show others doing it especially if it leaves the false impression that it was typical.

I don’t remember the details of Heydrich’s dismissal but I think some woman thought he was going to marry her and complained that she was jilted when he didn’t. The details aren’t important to this discussion though, my point was that it was a trivial private matter but it got him dismissed all the same. The German navy held its officers accountable for their public behavior – even during the war. They were a proud service.

Regards,

Ken Dunn</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? ROBERT M. 01/11/2004 01:52AM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/11/2004 02:16AM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Huskie85 01/11/2004 03:37AM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? MCE 01/11/2004 06:29PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Pernille 01/14/2004 12:35PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/14/2004 03:08PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Pernille 01/14/2004 10:12PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? J.T. McDaniel 01/14/2004 11:24PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/15/2004 03:57AM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Pernille 01/15/2004 01:39PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/15/2004 03:14PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Bill Forsythe 01/19/2004 05:01PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Ken Dunn 01/19/2004 07:39PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/20/2004 06:33AM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Ken Dunn 01/20/2004 11:52AM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/20/2004 02:42PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Ken Dunn 01/20/2004 04:22PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Stefan 01/20/2004 06:28PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Bill Forsythe 01/20/2004 06:41PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Meg Rosenfeld 01/20/2004 07:25PM
Re: What did you dislike about DAS BOOT? Ken Dunn 01/20/2004 09:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.