Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended?
Posted by: J.T. McDaniel ()
Date: July 20, 2004 11:55PM

I hate to stay it, but U-571 is sort of growing on me. I'm starting to think of it as the "Plan Nine From Outer Space" of submarine movies, the sort of thing Ed Wood could have done if he'd had a lot more money! But there are lots of other howlers out there, too.

"Crimson Tide," or "Okay, I don't know what the order says, but let's start World War III anyway, and if you don't like it I'll have my dog annoint your trousers." One hopes that, in real life, the only thing the captain would have said under the circumstances was what he'd been trained to say. "Fix the @!*?## radio!"

"Submarine Attack" is sometimes unintentionally funny, with bad dubbing, and Miss Moneypenny clearly speaking in someone else's voice. (I presume she did the lines in Italian and someone else dubbed her part into English.)

The subtle gaffe, Don Rickles happily working the pickle switch for a cable periscope hoist in a boat equipped with a hydraulic periscope hoist in "Run Silent, Run Deep."

And, of course, the ultimate sub movie cliche, where use of stock footage has the crew happily serving aboard the magically morphing sub. (Dives as a GATO, swims underwater as a TAMBOR, and surfaces after again transforming into a BALAO.) That's on the outside. Inside, it's pure, uh, prototype?

"Operation Petticoat" is, I agree, in a category all by itself. Granted, given the premise of early 1942 and escaping from Cavite it was the wrong class boat, but it was also one of the last World War II sub movies made with a "star" that could move under its own power, and even dive if required. It got Tony Curtis aboard a sub, too, which was something he always wanted after serving in relief crews, but never deploying and so never qualifying.

J.T. McDaniel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Terrible movie/Parody intended? Meg Rosenfeld 07/20/2004 04:42PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Io Chrysafidou 07/20/2004 08:19PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Dan Odenweller 07/20/2004 08:47PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? J.T. McDaniel 07/20/2004 11:55PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? ROBERT M. 07/21/2004 04:32PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Dan Odenweller 08/03/2004 05:15PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Lawrence 08/03/2004 12:32PM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Dan Odenweller 07/21/2004 01:37AM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Meg Rosenfeld 07/21/2004 02:04AM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Dan Odenweller 07/21/2004 04:08AM
Re: Terrible movie/Parody intended? Meg Rosenfeld 07/21/2004 04:46AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.