Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
What does Werner say?
Posted by: Daryl carpenter ()
Date: February 09, 2005 04:06AM

Okay, the scene is near the end of Das Boot, when all seems lost and the captain says that he's sorry to Lt Werner. What Werner actually says in return is a mystery to me - there are at least two completely different version of his "speech"! I was wondering if one of our German-speaking members might be able to properly translate the scene.

In the dubbed version:
"They made us all train for this day. "To be fearless and proud and alone. They told us it would be the test of a man who'd... to need no one, just sacrifice. All for the fatherland". Oh god, just empty words. Is it not the way they said it all, is it? I just want someone to be with. The only thing I feel is afraid".

In the subtitled version:
"I asked for it. "To be heading into the inexorable, where no mother will care for us, no woman crosses our path, where only reality reigns, with cruelty and grandeur." I was drunk with those words. Well, this is reality".

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
What does Werner say? Daryl carpenter 02/09/2005 04:06AM
Re: What does Werner say? MCE 02/09/2005 09:05PM
Re: What does Werner say? Meg Rosenfeld 02/10/2005 09:29PM
Re: What does Werner say? Guido S 03/28/2005 01:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.