Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End"
Posted by: Wiljan Bakers ()
Date: March 17, 2005 02:46PM

Last night in Holland there was a documantairy on Discovery Channel about the Japanese "Operation Deadlight" and the search for the scuttled Japanese subs who went down 60 years ago
The American Navy sank about 26 japanese subs west of Nagasaki because they were affraid they or the innovative technology used would fall in Russian hands.(the "cold war" was in its beginning stages) Few of those subs were the giant "Sen Toku" the largest subs build (till 1960) who could launch 3 bomberplanes, called "Seiran's" capable of carrying 800 kilo bombs. The idea was to attack the and destroy the Panama canal.

It stroke me that the expedition (if you can call it so) was in my eyes somewhat amateur like. They used a japanese polyester fishingboat that was not equipped with GPS or sonar, that was not capable of staying on one place, that had no metal deck so nothing could be welded fast or secured on deck, and only at the last dive at the last day in view came some blurred pictures of what was to believed I-58, the U-boat that sank US Indianapolis.
How on earth can someone make an expedition to a target that important without the proper preparations and material.
I for my opinion found the expedition a waste of time, money and recources, in spite of the fact that they did discouver the last restingplace of the pride of the Japanese navy. It seemed to me everything was put together in a hurry as if some more preparation and study and getting the right equipment would have been so difficult and deny them the change of finding these subs first.
How better are the expeditions made by Seahunters or Robert Ballard.
Any comments??

Kind regards
Wiljan Bakers

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End" Wiljan Bakers 03/17/2005 02:46PM
Re: I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End" ROBERT M. 03/17/2005 03:40PM
Re: I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End" Wiljan Bakers 03/17/2005 05:26PM
Re: I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End" Dirk 03/18/2005 06:17AM
Re: I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End" Wiljan Bakers 03/18/2005 03:26PM
Re: I-400 IJN U-Boat/ Operation "Road's End" nathan smith 06/11/2012 04:45AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.