Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Movie about the german spies
Posted by: Rodney Martin ()
Date: March 29, 2005 10:58PM

Maybe keeping your coins in a change purse was a European custom. My grandfather used a change purse when I was a kid (1940s). He would open it up and give my brother and me a few coins. He was a Hungarian immigrant.

Come to think of it I had a wallet that had a snap lock section for coins when I was a kid.

Perhaps this may cast some doubt on the movie version's reason for Gimpel getting caught. I can tell you from my own experience researching the attempted escape of Otto Kretschmer that there are more than five versions of why the escape tunnels were discovered that have been published in newspapers, magazines and books.

Coins were a lot more valuable then, and people wanted to carry them in such a way that they would not get lost easily. A lot of people were only making twenty-five to fifty cents an hour in the 40s. If you lost a nickel back then, you might have to walk five to ten miles to get home.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Movie about the german spies John Palmer 03/28/2005 03:03PM
Re: Movie about the german spies Fregatte 03/28/2005 04:16PM
Re: Movie about the german spies Rodney Martin 03/29/2005 10:58PM
Re: Movie about the german spies J.T. McDaniel 03/31/2005 01:09AM
Re: Movie about the german spies Rodney Martin 04/01/2005 12:28AM
Re: Movie about the german spies So far brianbdonald 04/06/2005 12:42AM
Re: Movie about the german spies So far J.T. McDaniel 04/06/2005 09:55PM
Re: Movie about the german spies Fregatte 03/28/2005 04:18PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.