Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...)
Posted by: Eric ()
Date: April 23, 2005 01:17AM

PatW,

I agree with the Laconia suggestion, and here's a few more:

1. Oskar-Heinz Kusch. [uboat.net]
Think law and order (or maybe the Caine Mutiny would be a better fit). The first half of the movie could be the u-boat war, with the second half court room drama, or maybe courtroom with u-boat flashbacks. Very tragic. Maybe too so.

2. Friedrich Steinhoff. [uboat.net]
Another tragic incident that blurs the "good guys'/"bad guys".

There are a number of films I'd like to see re-made with a more realistic depiction in some cases, or just up to date effects. Such as:

3. Archie Gibbs - 'U-boat prisoner' the amazing story of a Texas sailor taken aboard the U-126 for 4 days and set free. The original (which I haven't seen)supposedly has him taking over the U-boat single handedly in basically a propaganda piece. The real story provides a character study of the young men that made up the crew and shows thier compassion and professionalism and what each side thought of the other. Plus selfishly, my relatives ship was sunk the same night (45 minutes before), by the same U-boat, in sight of Archie's ship.

4. The British commando raid on St. Nazaire - update

5. The German Raider Atlantis - update

That's one of the unexpected surprises of this great site. I came looking for specific information, and stayed because of the all the facinating stories I've run across on the site and the forum.

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) PatW 04/22/2005 07:33PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Eric 04/23/2005 01:17AM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Volker Erich Kummrow 04/23/2005 02:38PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) PatW 04/23/2005 07:30PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Dirk 04/25/2005 05:32AM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Hubertus 04/25/2005 11:04AM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Pat W 04/26/2005 08:06PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Volker Erich Kummrow 04/30/2005 01:01PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Meg Rosenfeld 05/02/2005 03:22AM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Volker Erich Kummrow 05/02/2005 02:04PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Meg Rosenfeld 05/02/2005 03:05PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Wiljan Bakers 05/02/2005 12:30PM
Re: Cinematic potential (The future Oscar goes to...) Volker Erich Kummrow 05/02/2005 01:29PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.