Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: The Enemy Below
Posted by: ROBERT M. ()
Date: October 17, 2005 11:40PM

Hello Jack:

3. Could be you're right.......

10. Look closely at the singer's mouths, they are doing it in English..........

11. Heck, we all picked "DAS BOOT" and "U-571" to pieces, so I felt I could bring up a few "bloopers" which to me were very
obvious. Btw, there are more.........

Now take that DE (DE-181) as shown in the flick........ It was much more "authentic" than anything on the U-boat. Even the MK 6 depth charge depth-setting wrench, that the TM was using to set the charges on the port Mark 9 DC rack when he had his fingers severed. This was real and as the TM made his settings, the audible click can be heard as the little brass ball drops into the detent for each setting. The director did that well.........

The Mark 6 "K-guns" were fired by hand using a toggled lanyard by the torpedomen on the port and starboard K-gun racks. On DDs the after DC "roller" racks could be operated hydraulically from the starboard side of the bridge or manually at the racks. One TM assigned to each rack. I'm not sure about DEs, though.

While I'm discussing depth charge settings, I should explain that during the early stages of the war, to increase the speed in which a depth charge was delivered after having made contact, it had been a common practice to preset depth charges to detonate at a mean average depth. This tactic was later abandoned when it became apparent that in the event the DD or DE which held these pre-set
charges were to sink, the ordnance presented a serious danger to any survivors who may be in the water, awaiting rescue. From that
point on, the charges were set on "safe."

You must remember that there are a lot of old sub riders peeking in on this forum and they are hellish on accuracy in a submarine movie. If you're gonna do one, then make it right all the way.

John Grisham did not care too much about Hollywood altering his
novels, just take the money and run, but Tom Clancy was really disturbed by it.

Meg, I hope all this is not over your head. :-))

Regards,

ROBERT M.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Enemy Below Meg Rosenfeld 10/15/2005 07:04PM
Re: The Enemy Below ROBERT M. 10/17/2005 06:14PM
Re: The Enemy Below J.T. McDaniel 10/17/2005 10:08PM
Re: The Enemy Below ROBERT M. 10/17/2005 11:40PM
Re: The Enemy Below Meg Rosenfeld 10/18/2005 03:29PM
Re: The Enemy Below ROBERT M. 11/06/2005 04:08PM
Re: The Enemy Below Meg Rosenfeld 10/18/2005 03:24PM
Re: The Enemy Below Richard 10/19/2005 01:48PM
Re: The Enemy Below fregatte 11/06/2005 02:37PM
Re: The Enemy Below Guest 03/02/2007 03:50AM
Re: The Enemy Below Volker Erich Kummrow 03/07/2007 04:04PM
Re: The Enemy Below Eagle_Eye 01/13/2006 03:36PM
Re: The Enemy Below Barry Scully 03/02/2007 09:20AM
Re: The Enemy Below DanOdenweller 03/07/2007 06:17PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.