Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: das boot
Posted by: ThomasHorton ()
Date: April 11, 2008 02:51PM

Enemy Below is one I can recommend as it portrays the characters in human terms. Neither the American nor the German have any personal animosity towards the other, it is just their duty and each performs their duties professionally.

“I am russian and we used to think that Germans ( I mean fascists) were cruel and extremely severe, brutal persons. And I am still convinced that the most of them who came to USSR were like these.”

It is common in wartime to demonize your enemy. It helps people deal with the horrors of war. It is really hard to fight a war against nice average guys. So we paint our enemies in the worst possible light. Any instances of atrocities are immediately generalized across the entire forces of the enemies as being common for all the enemy’s forces. Any instances of mercy are suppressed or are identified as only being isolated instances in a field of evil.

And the other side is doing the same to you. That is the nature of propaganda.

Were there instances of German forces raping/murdering/torturing Russians? Sure. Does that mean that all German forces will rape/murder/torture Russians? For propaganda purposes of course!

Were there instances of Russian forces raping/murdering/torturing Germans? Sure. Does that mean that all Russian forces will rape/murder/torture Germans? For propaganda purposes of course!

Propaganda is a necessary part of warfare. It takes a real professional military member to wage war against people they don’t hate.

It is much better to hate your enemy than to love him. If you can’t find something to hate about your enemy, make something up.

If you can convince your forces that if they surrender to “them” that your forces will face unspeakable tortures, your forces may fight harder.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
das boot Artem 01/10/2008 12:09AM
Re: das boot schalke 01/10/2008 09:57PM
Re: das boot gerard heimann 01/11/2008 04:11PM
Re: das boot ThomasHorton 04/11/2008 02:51PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.