Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Das Boot - losing weight
Posted by: Becks ()
Date: May 27, 2008 08:23PM

In the film Das Boot, while being sunk at Gibraltar, the crew needs to blow the water out of the boat to get it lighter and finally ascend to the surface again. Now today I had the crazy idea that they could have launched their torpedoes (12 torpedoes at a weight of 1.5 tons each, that is 18 tons in total) to lose additional weight.

Sounds crazy, and probably is impossible due to technical limitations. But I wanted to know exactly, and thats why i registered on this forum to ask if any of you guys knows the answer.

Possible explanations I came up with:

- 18 tons is not sizeable compared to the weight of 1000 tons of the u-boat, so it wouldnt have much effect

- Its technically impossible to launch a torpedo at a depth of 280 meters (water pressure) from a type VII boat

- Its too dangerous to launch a torpedo while the submarine is sitting on ground

Thanks for you comments!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Das Boot - losing weight Becks 05/27/2008 08:23PM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight Don Prince 05/30/2008 03:01AM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight ThomasHorton 05/30/2008 04:33PM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight ROBERT M. 05/31/2008 08:00AM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight Don Prince 05/31/2008 06:00PM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight Io 06/03/2008 06:45AM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight PatW 06/04/2008 05:47PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.