Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Das Boot - losing weight
Posted by: Don Prince ()
Date: May 30, 2008 03:01AM

Hi Becks,

I find your question interesting... I am no U-Boat expert, just a studnet of history and engineering. Don't take my answer as gospel; here goes....

Given: 1 Atmosphere (14.6 Lbs/sq in.) at every 10 meters.

If the U-boat is at 280 M depth, then the external pressure would be 28 Atm. The Type VIIc U-boat used low pressure air to launch the torpedo by forcing a steel plate outward to push the torpedo out of the tube.

The high pressure air is 205 Atm, but the low pressure air in a Type VIIc is 12 Atm. The Type VIIc used low pressure air to launch the torpedoes. Therefore, I don't believe the launching air pressure (12 Atm) could over come the external pressure at 280 Meters (28 Atm).

I don't believe the torpedo tube Breech door was designed to withstand that kind back pressure. I think the torpedo tube Muzzle door could be opened because the tube could be flooded before the door is opened. So, the equalized pressure should allow it to be opened.

Even if a torpedo could be launched at a lesser depth, you would not loose much weight because after the launch the tube is full of water. The muzzle door is closed, The tube is drained and the sea water goes into a internal storage tank. Then the breech door can be opened to load another torpedo. The net weight loss would be darn little....

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Don_

"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Das Boot - losing weight Becks 05/27/2008 08:23PM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight Don Prince 05/30/2008 03:01AM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight ThomasHorton 05/30/2008 04:33PM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight ROBERT M. 05/31/2008 08:00AM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight Don Prince 05/31/2008 06:00PM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight Io 06/03/2008 06:45AM
Re: Das Boot - losing weight PatW 06/04/2008 05:47PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.