Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts
Posted by: Biggus ()
Date: January 23, 2012 01:59PM

Thank you, Ken- your vivid and complete answer confirms my beliefs about the larger deck guns.
Toward the end of the war when Germany mounted the quad 20mm's and were ordered to duke it out with aircraft, the crew must have had a terrible time as the allies changed their tactics. They just stayed out of range till help arrived! The quad 20mm's must have been mounted permanently on deck. The 20mm cannons must have a more intricate firing mechanism than the heavy calibers.
I am familiar with the roller-lock design of the MG42 and know this design would be destroyed in no time with salt water immersion.
I can find no engineering design drawings or maintenance information that defines the mechanisms of the 20mm guns. Thats something that does not show up in the NRA take down manuals :) I would suspect that the breech locking mechanisms and firing pin assemblies would be vulnerable to heavy corrosion. I suspect that the bore would be a less troublesome device to maintain, possibly with a coat of grease.
If someone could guide me to a net discussion of the mechanical assemblies of the 20mm cannons and maintenance thereof, I'd appreciate it.

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts Richard 50cal 01/17/2012 01:28AM
Re: AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts ROBERT M. 01/17/2012 04:32AM
Re: AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts Ken Dunn 01/20/2012 02:39AM
Re: AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts Biggus 01/23/2012 01:59PM
Re: AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts Ã…kerberg 01/24/2012 08:30AM
Re: AA guns and cannon corrosion of vital parts Dick Ecker 02/01/2012 06:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.