Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers
Posted by: Roger ()
Date: December 17, 2003 09:42PM

<HTML>Hello Michael

Blackburn Rovers was built at Smiths Dock, Middlesbrough in 1934. She was owned by Consolidated Fisheries and was one of a group of trawlers known as the Football Fleet. She was requesistioned by the Admiralty in September 1939.

Her loss is recorded in British Records as by U-Boat Action or mine on or about the 2nd June 1940. As far as I know, no U-Boat made any claim to sinking this vessel.
HMT Blackburn Rovers was in the company of HMTs Westella and Saon. Commander R English took Blackburn Rovers into a known British minefield when he detected a U-Boat on ASDIC.
Blackburn Rovers hit a mine and sank. Westella went to her assistance and she too struck a mine. Blackburn Rovers depth charges were primed before she sank and many of her survivors were injured in the resulting explosion. Survivors were rescued by HMT Saon.
There is some confusion were these events took place. Blackburn Rovers loss is recorded as North Sea, while Westella is recorded off Dunkirk.
From the book Grimsbys Fighting Fleet isbn 0 907033 962
I've sent a poor picture of Blackburn Rovers via e mail. I hope this information is of use to you.
Good luck with your research.
regards
Roger</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers Michael Hemingway 12/15/2003 08:53PM
Re: H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers Roger 12/17/2003 09:42PM
Re: H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers Kim Tait 10/06/2020 06:19PM
Re: H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers Peter Sterry 11/27/2013 04:57PM
Re: H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers Liz Phelps 08/23/2016 10:56AM
Re: H.M.S.Blackburn Rovers Iain Duncan 07/19/2017 08:28PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.