WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats
Posted by: Tom Donovan ()
Date: December 20, 2006 10:29PM

Michael,

Some updates. Regarding the death of Ferdinand Wolff brother of Heinrich Hohann Wolff it turns out Ferdinand was not on subs but was on a German surface ship and killed.

On Heinrich I have found out he also had the equivalent of the German Purple Heart and lost his sub sometime in 1917 in the North Sea. He was severly wounded and placed on a quasi- raft by older crew members and subsequently picked up by a German distroyer. For his injuries he received a disability from 1920-1939 which then ceased and then started back up in 1947-1968 when he passed away.

When he was returned to Wilmshaven the original plan was to amputate his leg but fortunantely for him a Dr. inteceded (do not know if this was because of his heorism or just plain luck) and he was sent to a German veterans hospital in Munich where he recomvered.

Of note, he received the check from the German consulate in Detroit, MI where the family had moved to from Germany in the 1920s. His son also mentioned to me that he continued to play soccer up into his 40s and would have to put gauze around his injured leg that would still ooze blood from it.

I have received some info on German veterans files that I plan to do some research on.

Thanks again for your assistance.

R,

Tom Donovan
CAPT, USN (ret.)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Tom Donovan 11/22/2006 08:16PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Michael Lowrey 11/23/2006 03:28PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Tom Donovan 12/20/2006 10:27PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Michael Lowrey 12/20/2006 11:16PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Tom Donovan 01/02/2007 07:47PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Tom Donovan 12/20/2006 10:29PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats mark hoffken 04/15/2007 01:01PM
Re: WW I Family Member Who Served On U-Boats Dirk Steffen 12/12/2006 05:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.