WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
'Castles of Steel' by Robert K. Massie
Posted by: Phil Johnson ()
Date: October 29, 2007 10:31PM

Please forgive me if this has been raised before but I would like some other views on an incident reported in this ecellent book on one naval encounter during the Great War. In Chapter 36, 'The defeat of the U-boats' the author mentions the recolections of man called Sims who describes a U-boat which was seriously damaged on the sea floor. Unable to effect any repairs and escape they listned above for some hours and eventually counted 'in all, 25 pistol shots, then silence'. The references at the back of the book don't make much sense to me but after reading a great deal of the exploits of submariners from all nations in both wars I find this information does not ring true. Without information on the boat itself or the actual records of Mr. Sims this could be difficult to prove one way or the other. Pesonally I seriously doubt this ever happened. I can't imagine any submariners simply giving up in this way. I would welcome the thoughts of othes who have read this excellent book and been baffled by this particular paragraph.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
'Castles of Steel' by Robert K. Massie Phil Johnson 10/29/2007 10:31PM
Re: 'Castles of Steel' by Robert K. Massie Michael Lowrey 10/30/2007 03:28AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.