WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Elizabethville torpedoed Sep 6 1917
Posted by: Freddy01 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 08:28AM

Hello,

Elisabethville I : build in 1910, by Alex Stephen & Sons – Glasgow. 7.017 grt – 4.771 netto.
Shipping C° : Compagnie Belge Maritime du Congo – Antwerp.

Left Matadi for Hull, via Dakar and Falmouth under leading of Cap. Lemans – 14 officers, 160 crew and 140 passengers.
In Dakar : + 52 French-African passengers + 3.200 t. general cargo.
Arrived on the 5 September in La Pallice (France) : +/- 100 passengers disembark. Captain Lemans is replaced by captain Georges Dorchain.

6 September at sea. At 02.50 p.m., the UC-71 (Olt. Reinhold Saltzwede) torpedoed the ship which sunk in 25 minutes in Pos 47°07 N – 03°11 W. (Belle Ile).
Casualties : 2 Chengs, (chief Engineer) and 12 Black mechanics.

202 people were rescued by (small) boats coming from Belle Ile and disembark at Palais around 08.00 p.m. (see : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Palais).
The day after (7 September), at 08.30 a.m., they embarked on board of the French steamer UNION and were transferred to Lorient.
I have no evidence that those people were « interned » there, but maybe you have information about it. If so, I’m interested in learning more.
Regards,
Freddy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Elizabethville torpedoed Sep 6 1917 suerowe 02/17/2016 07:39PM
Re: Elizabethville torpedoed Sep 6 1917 Freddy01 02/18/2016 08:28AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.