General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Thames Forts
Posted by: Terry Andrews ()
Date: June 01, 2001 08:03PM

<HTML>Hello Tom & MPC.

Just a quick line to let you know that I have extensive photo\'s and plans of the Thames Forts... They went under the name of The Maunsell Sea Forts, and were located in the Thames and Mersey Estuaries. Their were two kinds of forts used one was the Maunsell Naval Sea Fort. Their was four of these and were given the names: H.M. \'Fort Roughs\', H.M. Fort \'Sunk Head\', H.M. Fort \'Knock John\' and H.M. Fort \'Tongue Sands\' these were located between Harwich and Margate respectively. They were located in position between February - August 1942.

The other variant of the Sea Forts were known as: The Army Sea Forts, and went under the name of: The Nore Army Fort, Red Sands Army Fort and Shivering Sands Army Fort. These were located in the Thames Estuary and were sunk off the Kent coast between 1942 and 1943. all except the Nore Army Fort, which was dismantled in 1959-60, can still be seen on a clear day from the coast.

Their are 3 good books which have been written on the forts by Frank R, Turner.
the first describes the Naval Sea Forts, the 2nd book The Army Sea Forts, and the 3rd book, decribes life on board \'The Human Element\'.

I could go on but will be way off topic for this forum. If anyone needs further information or photo\'s please get in touch with me. When i was young I first noticed these when on holiday in Kent as a child and always had a fascination to find out more about them?... now I do so is their anyone else?

MPC you must remember the pirate radio stations of the 60\'s the Army Sea Forts were taken over by these early pioneer pop stations as technically the sea forts were outside territorial waters...AH! they were the days of free love, and individualism, flower power and all that?

enough of me hope this helps you all
regards Terry Andrews.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
a bit off topic as well Tom Iwanski 06/01/2001 12:59PM
RE: Thames Forts MPC 06/01/2001 07:30PM
RE: Thames Forts Terry Andrews 06/01/2001 08:03PM
RE: Thames Forts Rainer Bruns 06/01/2001 08:57PM
RE: Thames Forts Takeo 06/02/2001 04:30PM
RE: Thames Forts Terry Andrews 06/03/2001 04:52PM
RE: Thames Forts Terry Andrews 06/03/2001 04:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.