General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U Boats in Singapore
Posted by: adrian ()
Date: June 21, 2001 10:10PM

<HTML>G\'Day,
In 1944 my maternal (as well as my paternal) grandfather was a POW of the Japanese. After working on the Burma railway they were moved back to Singapore in mid 1944. My grandfather had told us that at the time there was a German U Boat there and that its crew had assisted them with food as much as possible. As well as providing some morale boosting when a UBoat man beat up a Japanese guard who had mistaken him for a POW! This is correlated in Joan and Clay Blair\'s book Return From the River Kwai. What I\'d like to know is which of the \'Monsoon\' boats was in Singapore in July/August 1944 (when these events took place). Also mentioned is a German freighter. What was this ship and what was its role? My grandfather (sadly passed away 6 years ago) also maintained that the Germans were for want of a better word, not too keen on the Japanese.
If anyone can give us a hand that would be fantastic as it would piece together a bit more of my Grandfathers past.

For those interested my grandfather served in the 2/12th Field Coy Royal Australian Engineers 8th Australian Division in Malaya,June 1941 til capture at Singapore 1942. He was one of the first POW\'s to return to Australia in November 1944.

Cheers!</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U Boats in Singapore adrian 06/21/2001 10:10PM
RE: U Boats in Singapore Rainer Kolbicz 06/22/2001 07:37AM
RE: U Boats in Singapore Capt. George W. Duffy 06/22/2001 12:42PM
RE: U Boats in Singapore Oliver Meise 06/22/2001 10:12PM
RE: U Boats in Singapore adrian 06/22/2001 10:30PM
Parthenia Der Teddy Bär 06/22/2001 11:30PM
RE: Parthenia adrian 06/23/2001 06:35AM
RE: U Boats in Singapore Antonio Veiga 06/22/2001 10:28PM
RE: U Boats in Singapore Capt. George W. Duffy 06/23/2001 07:03PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.