General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Weather entries in U-boat logs.
Posted by: Alan Constant ()
Date: June 28, 2001 10:59PM

<HTML>I am researching the sinking of the tanker \"Montrolite\" by Heinrich Bleichrodt in U-109 on February 4, 1942.

I have copies of the actual U-boat logs pertaining to the incident and am having a bit of a problem translating the weather information given because of some abbreviations.

They appear under a column headed \"Angabe des Ortes, Wind, Wetter, Seegang, Beleuchtung, Sichtigkeit der Luft, Mondschein usw\", which according to my translator is \"Location, Wind, Weather, Wave Action, Light Conditions, Ceiling (or visibility), Moonlight, etc.\"

An example of an entry in this column is as follows:

CB 9724,
NNW 6,Sg.7, o 1o,
Regenschauer, mittl. S.
hohe. Dün. aus. NNW

I know the first line is a grid reference on a map indicating the location of the U-boat. I\'ve seen a reproduction of a map (\"Operation Drumbeat\" by Gannon) which shows block CB just nort of the Bermudas, which is where Montrolite was sunk.

The third and fourth lines read: \"Rainshower, middle sea high swells (Dünung written in full in other entries) out of NNW.

The second line is what is giving problems. My guess is that \"NNW 6\" means \"Winds out of the NNW, FORCE 6 (as in Beaufort scale for example, not 6 knots as there were heavy rain squalls and high winds at the time according to the written comments).

I rhink Sg.7 may be an abbreviation for \"Sichttigkeit der Luft\" or visibility and the 7 is either kilometers or nautical miles..

I have no idea what the \"o 1o\" might be. In other reports it\'s \"o 7\".

Does anyone know what the entires on the second line mean?

Alan Constant</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Weather entries in U-boat logs. Alan Constant 06/28/2001 10:59PM
RE: Weather entries in U-boat logs. gavin 06/29/2001 02:06AM
RE: Weather entries in U-boat logs. gavin 06/30/2001 11:39AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.