General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Survival!
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: July 06, 2001 08:47PM

<HTML>Walter,

Don\'t know much about depths but, in the book \' The Admiralty Regrets\' concerning the loss of HM Submarine \'Thetis\'. I quote directly:

\" There would seem to have been the impression that if a man could use an escape apparatus in 15 feet of water, then he was quite capable of using it in 200 feet; and if the pressure on his ears at 15 feet could be cleared by blowing down his clipped nose, then all he had to do at 200 feet was to remember the same drill. It was ironic that i the Naval Diving School, which had - surprisingly, perhaps so - no connection with the Submarine Service, this belief was not shared. The Diving School, with daily experience of getting people to reach 200 and 300 feet, knew the difficulties involved in getting even 20 per cent of their intake to stand the physiological strain at great depths...\"

However, let me also quote you some facts which have to be taken into account regarding survival, over and above the psychological trauma of having been in action, depth charged and then escaping from a crippled submarine!

The shock of entry into cold water causes a reflex blood vessel constriction which increases blood pressure Also, the heart is stimulated and increases output which can - in a lot of cases - produce a heart attack. That\'s not all...

Sudden cooling of the skin causes a reflex breathing action. The initial gasp may cause \'dry drowning\' or may aggrevate the breathing rythym to produce hyperventilation. This renders the airways vulnerable to \'wet\' drowning\'. Exhaustion will set in due to both reflex shock of escape and the natural movement of the sea. Add to all these factors the psychological trauma...and you have a clear case of survival of the fittest.

Even aboard rescue vessels, many survivors died as a result of the three \'Nevers\' we know about today. NEVER give alcohol; NEVER supply direct heat; NEVER rub or massage limbs.

Those who survived sub escapes were fit men. There is no doubt about that.

I hope this answers some of your question.

Aye,

John

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Survive! Walter M. 07/06/2001 06:33PM
RE: Survival! John Griffiths 07/06/2001 08:47PM
RE: Survival! Walter M. 07/06/2001 09:08PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.