General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-534 Preservation.
Posted by: Terry Andrews ()
Date: July 16, 2001 06:43PM

<HTML>Hi Everybody.
Their has been much recent debate on this forum in regards to U-534 at Birkenhead and her currant condition/preservation.
I myself took part in this debate and sent an E/mail to the Historic Warships Trust. Asking them the very questions that were being asked on this forum.

I have today received a reply and from Wally Bennett who is the Project Director.
I reprint below his reply so that all may be enlightened!

Dear Terry,

Thank you for your recent e/mail concerning the above. (U-534 Preservation).

initially with regard to people that have or would intend to visit I would advise that our staff on site are only too willing to enlighten them as to the actions that we are taking on behalf of the vessels owners i.e. Den Bla Avis of Denmark. They have laid down specific actions we can and cannot take in respect of the vessel.

Secondly I can advise that contrary to misinformed debate that the exterior of the vessel has previously been treated with a propriety product which will slow down but not completely inhibit the long standing corrosion process. The next treatment is due in October which will embrace the whole vessel including the Conning tower.

As you may or may not know this was a recent addition to the vessel as part of its partial restoration and it has been left untreated deliberately to weather and approach as near as possible the hull colouring. obviously we cannot recreate 48 years below the sea!!

Thirdly I am somewhat amazed at the level of \'debate\' given that it appears that many of the participants may not have visited the vessel and seen and heard first hand what the position is in respect of its preservation.

What has to be remembered is that irrespective of the rights and wrongs of its recovery, to which we were not party, is that we are dealing with a vessel which lay submerged for 48 years. Unfortunately even if we or the owners had an unlimited funding source it is impossible to reverse and eliminate the deterioration that has set in over many years. We have happlied treatment in accordance with the owners wishes that should slow it down.

I trust that the above goes some way to enlightening you and your fellow members of the \'forum\'

Wally Bennett
Project Director.

End of reply.

Well Gentlemen, their we have it I now hand over, the debate to you! I am sure we will get some good threads going on this!

Best regards to you all
Terry Andrews.
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-534 Preservation. Terry Andrews 07/16/2001 06:43PM
RE: U-534 Preservation. John Griffiths 07/16/2001 06:55PM
RE: U-534 Preservation. me109g 07/16/2001 07:08PM
RE: U-534 Preservation. MPC 07/16/2001 07:07PM
RE: U-534 Preservation. Joe 07/17/2001 08:07AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.