General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND
Posted by: Brian Corijn ()
Date: July 24, 2001 10:42PM

<HTML>I found this text (see below) on the Channel4 webpage, i hope they can find out te real cause of her sinking.

I hope one day i find a topic on this forum HMAS Sydney found !!!
I really wonder what happened to this ship after she vanished out of sight from the crew of the sunken Kormoran.
Where can the wreck of this ship be?

Regards
Brian

Why did she sink so fast?

Why did the Mighty Hood, symbol of Britain\'s naval power, break into two pieces and sink so fast that only three people survived? The Admiralty set up a board of enquiry which concluded that the ship sank because Bismarck\'s 15-inch guns hit the magazines containing the ship\'s ammunition, causing it to explode.

There are several problems with this explanation:

there was no magazine in the area where the explosion was seen
there was a significant delay between Hood being hit and the explosion, whereas a magazine would have gone up much more quickly
the explosion was silent, whereas a magazine explosion would have sounded like a \'whump\'.

Many Theories
There have been many theories about what really happened.

Did a shell penetrate under the armour belt and detonate the weapons in the magazines?
Or did a shell come from above and pass through the ship into the magazines?
Did the shell hit the torpedo tubes where there were four or five large warheads, causing them to explode and break the vessel in two? Two members of this expedition disagree about the likelihood of this explanation. Naval Historian Dr Eric Grove believes the lack of protection of the torpedo tubes was Hood\'s Achilles\' heel but naval architect, Bill Jurens, thinks otherwise.
Did the shell set fire to the cordite propellant in the magazines, which would cause a conflagration without a bang?
This is the puzzle the expedition has set out to solve. With their state-of-the-art equipment they will examine the wreck to see if they can discover just why Britain\'s most famous warship went down so quickly taking all but three of her crew with her.
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Frank Blazich 07/24/2001 01:56AM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Terry Andrews 07/24/2001 12:16PM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Frank Blazich 07/24/2001 01:46PM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Terry Andrews 07/24/2001 06:57PM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Brian Corijn 07/24/2001 10:42PM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Vin 07/25/2001 01:54AM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Joe 07/25/2001 07:01AM
RE: HMS HOOD HAS BEEN FOUND Vin 07/25/2001 07:31AM
Simple Spelling Mistake Joe Dave McQueen 07/25/2001 12:15PM
RE:Thanks Joe 07/26/2001 06:46AM
RE:Thanks Ian Stapley 07/26/2001 11:58AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.