General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: P.O.W. - Pay
Posted by: Craig McLean ()
Date: August 10, 2001 11:40PM

<HTML>This is off the top of my head, but I am sure US (at least) POWs would have pay due while in captivity. Though I\'m equally sure it wasn\'t mailed to them!! But, a good question as to whether it was held up or whether it could be sent to dependants (as they were called when I was in the Army---in other words, the immediate family) during time of internment.

Logic would seem to have it that a dependant could draw the pay during internment of a spouse, but again, logic doesn\'t always rule.

I know when I first joined the Army in 1971, there was no such thing as a paycheck. Each month, we would line up, salute the pay officer in turn, and receive our $90 or so in cash. Checks and automatic bank deposits came years later.

I reply, just to be a part of the thread, in case someone comes forward with more definitve answers...

Craig</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
P.O.W. - Pay The Organiser 08/10/2001 07:03PM
RE: P.O.W. - Pay Craig McLean 08/10/2001 11:40PM
RE: P.O.W. - Pay walter M 08/11/2001 09:49AM
RE: P.O.W. - Pay Capt. George W. Duffy 08/11/2001 12:19PM
RE: P.O.W. - Pay ken dunn 08/12/2001 06:46PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.