General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U35 -Irish Visit
Posted by: TRONIKEN ()
Date: June 07, 2015 08:21AM

On 4 October 1939, the residents of Ballymore near Dingle kerry ireland noticed a strange craft heading for the rock at Ventry Harbour. They rushed towards the shore and to their amazement found that members of the crew of the German submarine, U 35, were landing Greek sailors from a rubber dinghy.. After landing the men, the German sailors rowed back to the U Boat and brought more men, and they continued to make the trip until 28 men were put ashore. They were survivors from a Greek freighter, Diamantis, which had been bound from Freetown to Barrow on Furness with 4,000 tons of iron ore when it was intercepted by the U Boat off south of Ireland the previous day. The sea was so rough at the time that one of their life boats was overturned and in a rare show of chivalry, the German commander, Werner Lott, ordered his crew to rescue the Greek sailors.

All 28 seamen from the Diamantis were brought on board the U 35. The Greek crew were offered beds and told to make themselves comfortable.. Some of the men later expressed their keen appreciation of the way in which they had been treated. “When the Greek sailors said good bye to me on the conning tower they went on their knees and kissed my wedding ring as if I was a bishop,” Lott recalled. “I did not want this but they said ‘we owe our lives to you. You have treated us very nicely’.” After dropping off the Greek seamen, the U Boat left Ventry Harbour after being supplied with the good old whiskey & food at a very slow speed. before submerging.

Much to the embarrassment of the Dublin government, the story was reported not only in the local newspapers but also in the international press. It actually made the cover story of Life Magazine on October 16, 1939.From the irish president Eamon de Valera’s standpoint,, the report was embarrassing because it gave credence to rumours that German U Boats were being protected by the Irish.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U35 -Irish Visit TRONIKEN 06/07/2015 08:21AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.