General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Funeral at sea
Posted by: markos88 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 11:05PM

Thanks John. Here's how I fictionalized it in my book:

At 2100, shortly after the last light, the U-023 surfaced in the middle of the Gulf beneath a waxing gibbous moon and scattered stratocumulus clouds. Silver moonlight, intermittently breaking through the clouds, swept across the aft deck as four crewmen, commanded by Leutnant zur See Wolf, gently laid Engel’s body on the grating. Beneath a red Kriegsmarine ensign that bore both the swastika and iron cross, the shrouded body was weighted head and toe. At the railing behind the Flak antiaircraft gun, Rainer and Jäger stood on the platform known as the Wintergarten. Three lookouts on the bridge scanned the horizon.

Rainer’s voice rose above swells slapping against the hull. “Men. We’ve lost a valued comrade and the Fatherland has lost a loyal son. Mere words are inadequate to express our sorrow, so let’s pray. Der Herr ist mein Hirte. The Lord is my Shepherd…”

As the ceremony continued, Rainer found himself oddly detached from the scene, as if looking down from above. The crewmen murmured the Lord’s Prayer. Images of the Marienkirche in ruins flashed through Rainer’s mind. On the aft deck, a lone harmonica played the haunting melody Engel had sung last Christmas Eve. Rainer’s mother bowed her cello in a soaring Bach cantata. Wolf folded the Kriegsmarine ensign. Gisela laughed as a swan churned up the water on the river Trave. A dark cloud eclipsed the moonlight and Engel’s shrouded corpse slid over the side. Anneliese’s golden hair brushed across Rainer’s forehead. The crew began to sing the melancholic warriors’ lament Ich hatt’ einen Kameraden - I once had a comrade. Rainer looked up at the moon and recalled the poem he’d read Anneliese on their last night together in Travemünde. I think of you, when the moonbeams shimmer over the stream.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Funeral at sea markos88 08/06/2015 09:14PM
Re: Funeral at sea karl donitz 08/17/2015 10:38PM
Re: Funeral at sea markos88 08/18/2015 12:10AM
Re: Funeral at sea Stan Norcom 11/23/2015 03:38AM
Re: Funeral at sea markos88 11/23/2015 11:07PM
Re: Funeral at sea jcrt 11/23/2015 11:13AM
Re: Funeral at sea markos88 11/23/2015 11:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.