General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Unrecorded U-boat fate December 1943
Posted by: Julian Caldecott ()
Date: June 11, 2016 12:28PM

I am researching the life of my uncle, who flew for the SAAF against U-boats from Takoradi in the Gold Coast (Ghana) from May 1943 until he went missing with his aircraft and crew in Dec 1943. A report on the event says that he “went into action against a surfaced U Boat with his Wellington Bomber and a crew of six … The surmise is that the U Boat won this Battle, picked up the men and headed for Home … But what is not surmise and is known for certain is the fact that 16 airplanes and 16 corvettes gave chase, tracked the U Boat all the way to the English channel, and there destroyed it. So reported the Royal Navy in December, 1943.”

I have been looking for any records of U-boats that were active off West Africa on or about 18 Dec 1943 and that were destroyed somewhere near Brittany around Christmas-time 1943, so far without result. I would very much like to find the number of the U-boat. Does anyone have any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Unrecorded U-boat fate December 1943 Julian Caldecott 06/11/2016 12:28PM
Re: Unrecorded U-boat fate December 1943 SnakeDoc 06/12/2016 10:00AM
Re: Unrecorded U-boat fate December 1943 Rainer 06/19/2016 10:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.