General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster?
Posted by: Markus ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:04PM

Maybe someone can help me with some questions which arose to me?

Dr McCartney, according to LiveScience, has seen those multibeam-pics and also a ROV-video of the wrack. As I understand it the shape and the 105 mm-gun had led him to identify the ship as either UB-82 or -85. Roughly I estimated the new wreck at around 55° 2'20.35"N, 5°29'58.10"W and looked up after UB-82.

It met U-19 west of Rathlin Island on 15.04.1918. On 17.04.1918 the drifters "Pilot Me" and "Young Fred" sighted a periscop and bombed and fired at the u-boat until it sunk and oild and debris come up. Seemingly two caps (with ribbons of IV and V Unterseeboot-Flotille according to Grant's "U-boat Hunters") identified it as UB-82. This incident happend according to Messimer ("Verschollen") at 55°13‘ N, 5°55‘ W, according to Grant at 5°15‘ W and Canmore.org reports about the wreck of a U-Boat which could be UB-82 at 55 11 47N, 005 38 26W. This is somewhat confusing and I wonder what's the official record of coordinates of both drifters for this incident? Anybody knows what is the actual correct stand of knowledge?

Coming to UB-85. The "Coreopsis" attacked it and sunked it. Other ships came to the scence too. So far the facts. Now the first report of the "sea monster" story in James B. Sweeney's "Sea Monsters - A Collection of Eyewitness Accounts" tells us that the German captain, Kapitänleutnant Günther Krech (senior), was taken on board of a patrol boat named "Valororus" and there he told the story. I haven't found such a boat in WW1, does anybody know it? Anybody of this group read the story published before 1977?

Thank you!

Btw. with the UB-85, U-28 and U-108 there are three stories involving German U-Boats and Sea monsters of WW1.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster? paul tjader 01/21/2017 04:32PM
Re: Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster? Rainer 01/21/2017 05:02PM
Re: Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster? Michael Lowrey 01/22/2017 07:17AM
Re: Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster? paul tjader 01/22/2017 07:58AM
Re: Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster? Markus 02/12/2017 01:04PM
Re: Uboat Kplt, Sea Monster? Markus 02/12/2017 01:16PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.