Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Update from Katrin about U-156 movie
Posted by: Hubertus ()
Date: December 01, 2005 09:12AM

Thank you for the good suggestions and background.

As many of you know, in a screenplay each page of screenplay equals one minute of film. It's a rule of thumb, but one which is surprisingly true when using the standard screenplay formatting conventions.

We are realistic enough to know we won't have the shooting luxury of "Das Boot" which still sets the standard insofar as war films, U-boat or not. It runs well over 120 minutes. I was the biggest proponent of focusing the events of Laconia in a flashback at the trial, but I am now of the opinion that if anything gets shortened, it is the trial with more emphasis on the sinking(s).

I wish I knew more about the Italians. I know the Italians were captured in Libya and taken to South Africa and then put aboard Laconia, there. They were the vast majority of those on board, yet hardly any survived. The pandemonium during the sinking has been recounted here and there and it all adds up to the fact that they were left to die - a quarter died when the initial torpedo flooded a forward compartment. Others died when the ship when down as they remained locked in the prison compartments. One group forced the door and came topside and were met with bayonets and guns.

They were kept back from the life boards. Those that managed to get off the Laconia as it went down, were in the water without flotation aids. If they got too close to a life boat, it was reported that survivor were there with hatchets and it was said that "whoever tried to cling to the side, chop his fingers off."

This was a horrific night - and then to add to it the bombing of the life boats . . .

There is a story filled with harrowing events that needs to be told. The History Channel documentary tells some of it, but it tends toward the aftermath. Alas, all too many eye witnesses died that night.

I do know that many were killed or wounded from Laconia's own popped rivets, propelled by the torpedo blast.

One of our writers went down on a commercial ship and spent a long time in frigid waters until he was rescued. The idea of going down in these circumstances - in a war zone, no less - is far worse.

Will we ever know what "really" happened?

Katrin.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Update from Katrin about U-156 movie Hubertus 12/01/2005 09:12AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.