Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Steering the U-Boat
Posted by: Don Prince ()
Date: January 03, 2010 04:12AM

Hello SnakeDoc,

Thanks for your follow-up... I did go back to my Control Room and Tower drawings in Richard Lakowski's Book "Deutsche U-Boote GEHEIM 1935 - 1945" and found that item 166 on page 69 is the Rudder Control Switch in the Control Room for the Type VII, and item 161 on page 70 is the Rudder Control Switch in the tower.

However, nothing is indicated for the bridge. I did find a photo in "Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottup VIIC" on page 26 a photo of a late model bridge. I believe there is the Speed Command Repeater (Round) in the center of the photo, and below that a Compass Dial (Round), and below that a square device which may be the Rudder Control Switch. Can you verify this? Do you have better photos of the placement of these instruments in both later and earily towers? I would like to make a correction to my OTW 1/32 Type VIIC brass tower that is suppose to represent U-96.

My model of U-96 has the Gyro and Repeater, but not the Compass Dial or the Rudder Control Switch on the bridge.

I find this forum to be a great learning tool and I really like talking with others that have similar interest. I just retired this year and now I can spend more time on things that I enjoy.

Kind Regards,
Don_

"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Steering the U-Boat comet61 12/25/2009 08:43PM
Re: Steering the U-Boat Don Prince 01/02/2010 01:26AM
Re: Steering the U-Boat SnakeDoc 01/02/2010 06:40PM
Re: Steering the U-Boat comet61 01/02/2010 07:59PM
Re: Steering the U-Boat Don Prince 01/03/2010 04:12AM
Re: Steering the U-Boat Don Prince 01/15/2010 03:38AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.