Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
diorama question
Date: April 27, 2005 03:42PM

Hello,
this is my first post on this forum, and of course I've tried searching for an answer to my question first - but couldn't find it.

What I want to do:
Based on the Revell VIIC 1:72 model, I want to create a scene of a U-Boat attacking (imaginary) ships while floating above the water - a typical early war evening or night time scene. The commander will be standing on the tower, observing the target through his UZO, some officers watching the scene through their glasses. A torpedo has just left the tube, leaving a trail of bubbles behind. I want to create a plexiglass environment for this scene to live in, so that the observing eye will be able to see both the overwater and underwater reality.

Now, the problem is: How do I create the water?

Or rather, is there any material that:
-looks transparent (or even better, transparent with a greenish-blue tint)
-hardens (cures?), so that I don't need to create ugly frames to hold the boat and the torpedo in place
-does either work with available water-surface imitation (H0 scale lake) or can be worked into realistic-looking waves
-is affordable (I guess I will have to use at least 20-30 liters of this material to fill the plexiglass - I'm a student and I really don't want to spend €100 on the 'water' alone)

I think it will be interesting to find an answer to this question not only for me, but also for everybody who ever wanted to create a scene of underwater combat, wrecked ships etc.

Thanks in advance for your efforts,
Christian Demmler

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
diorama question Christian Demmler 04/27/2005 03:42PM
Re: diorama question Mike Mamula 04/28/2005 12:50AM
Re: diorama question Christian Demmler 04/29/2005 10:19AM
Re: diorama question Mike Mamula 04/29/2005 08:03PM
Re: diorama question Christian Demmler 05/07/2005 01:40PM
Re: diorama question van der ven 05/06/2005 05:59PM
Re: diorama question Christian Demmler 05/07/2005 01:35PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.