Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
1/35th VIIC sub model
Posted by: julian ()
Date: July 03, 2001 03:46PM

Hi fellow modellers

I was wondering if anyone out there is doing the John Bertola sub kit. I am half way through mine now and it would be interesting to talk to other modellers doing the same kit.

I am at present finishing of the hulls on the Bertola boat. I(t has proved quite taxing to say the least. The standard of the hull moulds were pretty rough on my example. It has pushed out my modelling skills to the limit to get the standard up to the excellent deck fitting from Accurate Armour.
My upper hull was very twisted along its length and I nearly quit the whole project when my patience started running out!

At this point I asked John for another upper hull hoping it would be a bit less warped. It wasn’t.

Anyway, I have persisted with it and am now happy with the fit. All the upper holes are drilled and the rivets reduced to subtle bumps. The hull join is now seamless with locating pins and end bolts. Just to fit the control surfaces. I also cut out a rear dive tube following the pic I got of the web and plans from Von Original Model.

It helped adding strengthening pieces around the upper hull sail hole to make a solid join and also I have added cross brace pieces in light plastic sheet to keep it all rigid.

I reckon the finished boat will take me another couple of months yet, but will be as good as anything available in kit form and is probably the only VIIC available at this scale. It is a million miles better than the supplied kit now, but, hey, that’s why we do this hobby isn’t it!

I would recommend the kit only to folk with plenty of time, patience and a fair amount of skill.

When it is all finished, I will post some pics on the site.

Julian Hoyes
England

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
1/35th VIIC sub model julian 07/03/2001 03:46PM
RE: 1/35th VIIC sub model Lars Gullen 07/05/2001 06:04PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.