Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
H.M.S. Dunedin sinking 1941
Posted by: brianbdonald ()
Date: April 02, 2005 11:11PM

I have just read a book by the son of one of the WW2 survivors of the sinking by U-142 of the british light cruiser H.M.S. Dunedin in the South Atlantic off the coast of West Africa while searching for the German supply ship 'Python'.
Waht struck me was the close paralells between the sinkin gof the Dunedin and the U.S.S. Indianaplois' in 1945 by a Jap submarine, even though I realise that Dunedin was zig-zagging in a way the Indianapolis was not.
Nevertheless, the Dunedin's survivors underwent many identical privations to teh Indy's crew members from sharks and barracuda attacks to thirst, exposure etc.
Similarly, the ships searching for Dunedin were not succesful and only a chance malfunction in the engines of an American merchant ship carrying iron ore from West Africa to Philadelphia. P.A. caused the Dunedin's rapidly dwindling band of survivors to be rescued when the American cargo vessel happened upon them by chance.
That's only my opinion but I just wondered?-would it be an exaggeration to say that H.M.S. Dunedin was Great Britain's
U.S.S. Annapolis' ?.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
H.M.S. Dunedin sinking 1941 brianbdonald 04/02/2005 11:11PM
Re: H.M.S. Dunedin sinking 1941 john 04/03/2005 06:43PM
Re: H.M.S. Dunedin sinking 1941 Eric 04/04/2005 02:07PM
Re: H.M.S. Dunedin sinking 1941 Daniel M 04/10/2005 07:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.