Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
HMS Walnut
Posted by: Bruce M. Petty ()
Date: August 02, 2013 07:01PM

I am doing research on a flotilla of Bird-Class, British-built corvettes that served in the Pacific during WWII, specifically Kiwi, Moa, and Tui. These ships were manned by New Zealanders. However, prior to Pearl Harbour many of these men were in the RNZNVR, and served on Tree-class trawlers with the Royal Navy. Lt. Cmdr. Gordon Bridson was skipper of HMS Walnut from late July 1940 until Sept. 1941. Lt. Cmdr. Peter Phipps was the skipper of another one of these trawlers. Both men later were awarded the Navy Cross by Adm. Bill Halsey for sinking the Japanese sub, I-1 off the coast of Guadalcanal in January 1943. However, in order to flesh-out this story I need to learn more about what these men did while serving in British waters with the Royal Navy. If I could get a copy of the log from Walnut or the other ships manned by these New Zealanders, that would be of help. I'm looking forward to hearing back from anybody who can help me with this: brucempetty@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Walnut Bruce M. Petty 08/02/2013 07:01PM
Re: HMS Walnut Kevin Roberts 10/01/2016 11:11AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.