Re: LOST OPPORTUNITY ?
Posted by: Caribbean Privateer ()
Date: February 02, 2004 05:03AM

<HTML>Thanks! I still think if a bid was put out for a purpose built Autogyro(inclosed cockpit) with a very powerfull air cooled engine something positive could've been developed after all some depth charges could've been used I'am thinking about the small "hedgehog" types that were "impact detonated"?

Also the inventor of the Autogyro was killed in a airplane crash in the UK in 1936, its quite possible if he had lived to see the 2nd WW the UK could've used his know how to help such a possibility along. (I don't think the Brits did ANY research into rotary wing aircraft during the war unlike the Americans and Germans, in fact the US army did deploy a small helicopter to Burma with the so called "Air Commando" unit)

By the way I'am from Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies and during the War one U-boat(615) was sunk by the Royal Navy near our coast I've been looking for ages to get some info on it and then I came apon this site great help its been, many older ppl back there still talk about that sinking in fact I was watching a war documentary on A&E some yrs ago about U-boats when it was mentioned also newspaper articles by locals home had reported about the Sub's sinking since the after the war, But what really blew me away was the fact that the German crew who survived the sinking was picked up by the UK navy ships and held on a POW camp in our Island! this I never knew until I'd seen it on A&E, the captured crew was then sent to CANADA only after spending a few months or weeks on the Island those Germans must've sure freaked out cuz Canadian winters are nothing to joke about!

Also during the War 30,000 US military personnel was stationed on our Island, two US bases one Navy and one Army mostly Air Corps, the Americans got the land to use because of the famous 50 destroyer deal between President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill in fact the highway that once linked the two bases is still called the Churchill Roosevelt HWY which was built by the US Navy's seebees along with the bases, locals swear it's still the best constructed road in the Island!

again thanks for the info and links Robert.</HTML>

Subject Written By Posted
LOST OPPORTUNITY ? Caribbean Privateer 02/01/2004 02:46AM
Re: LOST OPPORTUNITY ? ROBERT M. 02/01/2004 05:45AM
Re: LOST OPPORTUNITY ? ROBERT M. 02/01/2004 05:56AM
Re: LOST OPPORTUNITY ? Caribbean Privateer 02/02/2004 05:03AM
Re: LOST OPPORTUNITY ? Ian Sadler 02/06/2004 03:30PM