WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
uboat capture Tunisia or Algeria
Posted by: Vaughan Cullen ()
Date: September 27, 2004 09:33AM

Hello subies, I have a great Uncle that was in command of the troopship Figuig of the British French Line from 1917 to 1918 sailing from Bordeaux to Cassablanca and North African ports. Family legend says that he rammed a uboat at the entrance to the Gerounde river leading up to Bordeaux. Reciently from another family member told me that it happened in Tunisia probably Tunis and the story was that the Figuig was loaded with amunition and the authorities knew that the subs were waiting out side the entrance in a protected eddy waiting for a ship to pass. Captain Graham Stewart drove the ship into where they were sitting and a 'Mexican stand off' occured as he knew that if they fired their torpedo they would all die . It is believed that the sub surendered and were men taken aboard , Graham Stewart recieved Tunisian and Algerian medals medals for his service . What I would like is any verification of this story from official sources or info from the submarine in question . regards Vaughan Cullen

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
uboat capture Tunisia or Algeria Vaughan Cullen 09/27/2004 09:33AM
Re: uboat capture Tunisia or Algeria Michael Lowrey 09/27/2004 02:38PM
Re: uboat capture Tunisia or Algeria Yves D 09/27/2004 06:31PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.