WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Mine Damage to HMS Chatham (and a few other things)
Posted by: Nom Anor ()
Date: February 16, 2012 04:32AM

Hello,

According to Conway and a few online sources, British light cruiser Chatham was mined and damaged off the Norfolk coast in the North Sea on 26 May 1916. Two of her crew are listed as killed in the casualty list here :

[www.naval-history.net]

I was wondering if this could be a Uboat-laid mine. If not, does anyone know where that mine came from? Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the exact position.

Two other unrelated tidbits that I thought might be of some interest:

[uboat.net]

Conway says this vessel was actually a Q-ship: She was the ex-motor schooner Cuore di Gesu. The Italian Navy commissioned her on 1 July 1915. She was armed with two 47 mm guns and had a complement of 16 men. She engaged U 4, which sank her with one torpedo.

According to “The Russian Navy In War And Revolution”, when the minelayer Lagoda(spelled Ladoga in the book) hit one of UC 4’s mines, 5 men of the crew were lost because “at the moment of the explosion, struck with terror, they threw themselves into the water.”

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Mine Damage to HMS Chatham (and a few other things) Nom Anor 02/16/2012 04:32AM
Re: Mine Damage to HMS Chatham (and a few other things) Michael Lowrey 02/17/2012 05:45AM
Re: Mine Damage to HMS Chatham (and a few other things) Nom Anor 02/17/2012 03:00PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.