WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
help with WWI ribbons and "Deutschland" ribbon
Posted by: kfehlhaber ()
Date: February 25, 2021 05:51PM

Hi everyone,

I've looked at this site for a while and am finally posing a question.

My grandfather served on UB-23 in WW1. I've got his ribbons and a bunch of original photos. I'm trying to understand it all and looking for some help.

Here's a link to a photo of the ribbons. [photos.app.goo.gl]

They say:
UNTERSEEBOOTS.ABTEILUNG
UNTERSEEBOOTSFLOTTILLE FLANDERN
I.UNTERSEEBOOTS.HALBFLOTTILLE.I (the second I. is cut off in the photo)

and the weird one
DEUTSCHLAND

Anyone know the reasons or meaning of the different ribbons? As far as I know, he was only in the Flanders flotilla. I know he was on UB-23 in late 1916 and early 1917 under Heinz Ziemer. I don't know when he started. I do know that he later moved to the submarine salvage ship "Vulkan." He was also on the training ship "Admiral von Knorr."

If the ribbons mean anything in terms of times of service, especially when he started, that would be great to know.

You can see that one ribbon is totally different - I don't know the story behind that one. He left Germany in 1923. That could have been given to him later (I'm guessing).

Thanks so much for any help!
Kristen

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
help with WWI ribbons and "Deutschland" ribbon kfehlhaber 02/25/2021 05:51PM
Re: help with WWI ribbons and "Deutschland" ribbon Michael Lowrey 02/25/2021 09:25PM
Re: help with WWI ribbons and "Deutschland" ribbon kfehlhaber 02/26/2021 04:45AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.