WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
WWI Uboats Questions for new TV show
Posted by: ResearcherJon ()
Date: May 24, 2021 03:28PM

Hello, all. I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out. I'm a researcher for a new premium cable television drama that centers around 1916-18 Uboats. While our show is fiction, it's based on reality, and it's my job to make sure our scripts are as accurate as possible, I have questions...many questions. Can I post them here and folks could pick and choose one's they could answer? Or can I email with someone directly?

Some question...

THE CONTROL ROOM / LAYOUT

Consider a very advanced WWI U-boat. I need a general description of the layout and stations in the Control Room, along with a sense of the personnel who would be at each station and their specific duties. My plan is to have the Radio Room essentially adjoining the control room — does that make sense? Would there be an area to lay out map and/or plot navigation charts within the control room itself?

Regarding access to the decks: would it make the most sense that access to the decks would be via a central ladder (or spiral stairs) running vertically down from the conning tower? Would/could there be any other vertical passages between decks elsewhere on the sub fore and/or aft?

SHAKEDOWN TESTS

We're interested in the first tests of the ship. Would the propellers be tested? (It’s a great visual, so I’d really like to see it…) If so how, and with what terminology? Did subs with twin screws use one going forward and one back to turn quickly (this would certainly make a cool test…)?

One of tests which will need to be in the script is testing the rudders (to begin the first phase of Nemo’s “sabotage”), perhaps as part of a general maneuvering test). What would be the specifics of this, along with the terminology?

MISCELLANEOUS

How would a German Captain usually refer to his crewmen when giving orders? Would he call out “Pilot…” “Helm…” “Radio…”. (What I’m really looking for here is being able to refer credibly to the various stations by function as opposed to the crewman’s name.)

Were flashlights used/available on WW1 submarines?

Thank you very much for ANY thoughts you can offer here.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
WWI Uboats Questions for new TV show ResearcherJon 05/24/2021 03:28PM
Re: WWI Uboats Questions for new TV show Freddy01 05/25/2021 09:05AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.