WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Searching for Crewmember Record on UB3
Posted by: Alan Lewis ()
Date: May 26, 2021 07:52PM

I'm trying to locate a crew manifest for UB3 dated around 17 October 1914. My grandfather. Elemer Malanotti, was a graduate of the Austro-Hungarian Naval Academy and I believe was serving as Executive Officer of UB3 at that time. The record of UB3 is that it was lost on her first patrol in 1915 and saw no action. The story told to me by my mother is that my grandfather's boat was sunk in an action in Italian waters early in the war and he was one of several survivors that were captured and placed in an Italian POW camp for the duration. I have a silver cigarette case given to him by the crew of UB3 that has a small piece of shrapnel welded to the case and is dated 17 October 1914. The story is that this shrapnel narrowly missed my grandfather during an action while he was in the conning tower, however the record states that UB3 never saw any action. Any help to locate his record would be most appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Searching for Crewmember Record on UB3 Alan Lewis 05/26/2021 07:52PM
Re: Searching for Crewmember Record on UB3 Michael Lowrey 05/27/2021 12:05AM
Re: Searching for Crewmember Record on UB3 Alan Lewis 05/27/2021 12:17PM
Re: Searching for Crewmember Record on UB3 Nom Anor 06/01/2021 09:56AM
Re: Searching for Crewmember Record on UB3 Nom Anor 06/01/2021 10:01AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.