WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
US troop ship movements 1917-1919
Posted by: Mark C. Jones ()
Date: November 17, 2022 05:09PM

I am hoping a visitor to this forum with expertise in U.S. naval forces in World War I can provide some details for me. My grandfather served in the U.S. Army during the war and was sent to France. I know he sailed from the U.S. on the troopship USS George Washington (ID-3018) and arrived in France on November 9, 1918. I believe most US troopships in 1918 arrived at Brest but would like to determine the port at which the USS George Washington disembarked its troops.

For the return trip to the U.S., he sailed on the battleship USS Missouri (BB-11) from Brest to Newport News, Virginia. The Missouri arrived at Newport News on July 26, 1919 but then arrived at Philadelphia on the 29th. I would like to know if the ship disembarked its troops in Newport News or Philadelphia. The second stop might be the disembarkation point as nearby Camp Dix in New Jersey was where he was discharged from the army.

These are very small details that could be hard to find. Perhaps a visitor to this forum has access to specialized sources that provide a high level of detail about ship movements. I would be grateful for any assistance, sent to the forum or to me as a private message. Thank you!

Mark C. Jones

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
US troop ship movements 1917-1919 Mark C. Jones 11/17/2022 05:09PM
Re: US troop ship movements 1917-1919 Michael Lowrey 11/18/2022 03:58AM
Re: US troop ship movements 1917-1919 Mark C. Jones 11/18/2022 01:12PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.