WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U-27 May 1915 patrols
Posted by: Das Fitch ()
Date: May 11, 2024 07:42PM

Hello everyone. I have been trying to find more information on the exact route and details of the patrol of U-27, commanded by Kapitänleutnant Wegener, in early May 1915.

As those here know, U-20, U-27 and U-30 were ordered out of Wilhelmshaven by Fregattenkapitän Bauer, to sink transport ships, merchant ships and warships. U-20 departed on April 30, 1915, on its voyage when it sank Lusitania. U-30 was already out at sea and received its orders by wireless, and U-27 departed May 2, 1915 I believe. Orders were given to sail the fastest possible route around Scotland.

We know that U-27 was directed to operate in the British Channel of the Irish Sea. We also know that Wegener did not successfully sink any vessels in early May 1915.

My question is, do we have any firm documentation of U-27's exact route during this patrol, specifically where it would have been located on May 7, 1915, when Lusitania was sunk? I am not suggesting it attacked Lusitania or even attempted to, but am trying to establish where it was located in the Irish Sea, when U-20's attack occurred.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-27 May 1915 patrols Das Fitch 05/11/2024 07:42PM
Re: U-27 May 1915 patrols Michael Lowrey 05/12/2024 02:15PM
Re: U-27 May 1915 patrols Das Fitch 05/15/2024 11:59PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.