General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
The U-Boat Century German Submarine Warfare 1906-2006
Posted by: Denis Martin FTU ()
Date: November 14, 2007 03:24PM

Hi VEK MPC Ken and all

I have just finished reading the above book by author Jak P.Mallmann Showell.This book gives a summary of 100 years of U-boat development beginning with U-1 in 1906 and right through both World Wars and ends with the present day German Navy. The author explains how the U-boat was developed and designed and then deployed to wreak havoc in European waters and further afield in the Atlantic and the Far East. Showell gives the reader an insight into the men who built and fought in the U-boats as well as the weapon systems, operational areas, bases, builders, and fleet organisation are covered. It was most interesting to read what the living conditions were like for the U-boatmen and what they had to endure. I liked the photographs in this book, some 400 photos. My favourite would be of U-Deutschland SMU155. This photo shows the crew enjoying a refreshing swim. By unscrewing the tops of their empty cargo tanks along both sides of the hull and filling these with water so that the men could use them as small swimming pools. Interesting to discover what happened to Reginald "Rex" Broadbent Second Officer of the British Freighter "City of Canton". After his ship was sunk by U-178 he was taken prisoner onboard U-178.
Rex Broadbent was used to smoking 60 cigarettes a day and living in the relatively airy luxury on his merchant ship,he found that the confines of the U-boat horribly restricting. First Watch Officer Wilhelm Spahr U-178 solved this difficulty by employing Rex Broadbent as a member of his lookout watch. As a result Broadbent became one of the few English people who can lay claim to having been a genuine U-boatman. He stayed onboard the U-boat for 7,172 nautical miles. I would highly recommend this book it would make a good Christmas present for anyone interested in U-boats. Has anyone read this book?
"The U-Boat Century" is published by Chatham Publishing in the UK. ISBN 9781861762412 ISBN 1861762410
Regards
Denis Martin

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The U-Boat Century German Submarine Warfare 1906-2006 Denis Martin FTU 11/14/2007 03:24PM
Re: The U-Boat Century German Submarine Warfare 1906-2006 Denis Martin FTU 11/15/2007 01:00PM
Re: The U-Boat Century German Submarine Warfare 1906-2006 Prien 11/16/2007 10:13AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.